Thursday, September 16, 2010

Fourth Day - Only Post

Mileage Today: 417
Total Mileage: 1378

There was no posting with the 'Droid from out on the road today - no 3G service or wireless networks the entire way.

We spent so much time exploring the National Bridges National Monument and a couple of ancient villages in the Canyons of the Ancients that we didn't make it to Mesa Verde in time to visit there. We will take the entire day tomorrow to explore Mesa Verde.

We are staying in Durango, CO tonight and will return after visiting Mesa Verde tomorrow. Saturday we will head north to Pike's Peak.

It's a little ironic in that we planned this trip for after Labor Day in hopes of having to deal with fewer tourists. Kids are back in school, after all, and you'd think few people would be out and about. WRONG! The past couple of nights we've had to deal with "No Vacancy" issues. From now on we're going to reserve our rooms a day or so ahead of time. This, of course, closely resembles planning - which we also hoped to avoid.

3 comments:

  1. Man, I envy you guys........You are doing what I want to do in a couple of years, except I want to do it in a 5th wheel! No motel issues and if I find a spot I want to spend more time in, I just park it! I want to cover the whole country and maybe take 2 or 3 years to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep - We talk about doing just what you're talking about from time to time, but somehow the time never comes. These scouting trips are giving us lots of ideas about where we would like to spend more time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Doug, you could always do what my wife & I are thinking of doing - getting a toy hauler so we can travel, camp, and bring along the bikes wherever we go. That way, we can park where there are hook-ups or in the boonies where there are no hook-ups, and then drop the tail on the RV and roll our bikes out to go exploring in areas across the country. I'm saving up my vacation time for that, but you don't have to worry about "vacation" time now, do you? :)

    ReplyDelete